Tomato Juice Gazpacho
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 1 pound good red tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- ½ medium bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium white onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 T sherry vinegar, OR 5 T red wine vinegar and 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 4 c good tomato juice (I used Campbells which was the only brand in my store; it has scored well in various taste tests)
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 t Tabasco sauce
- Dump everything except the tomato juice into a blender. Add 2 c tomato juice and blend until ingredients are finely chopped but not liquefied. There should still be a significant amount of roughage in the gazpacho. Add the rest of the juice, pulse briefly to blend. Chill 4 hours and adjust seasonings before serving.
- Variations: This tastes good with some garlic croutons if you like them. A peeled, cored apple is a good addition. Consider a couple slices of stale white bread, crusts removed, if you like it thicker.