Torta di Porri (Leek Torta Appetizer)
- Cooking Time: 50
- Servings: 50-60
- Preparation Time: 60
- Dough Ingredients Nonni’s Way (or use Denise’s alternate way below):
- 6 cups Flour1 ¼ teaspoons Salt
- 6 oz (12 tablespoons) Olive Oil2 cups Water
- Mix ingredients in a food processor with a dough hook (Nonni’s gone modern!) Knead on a floured board, adding more flour if too wet or more water if too dry. Place in a bowl, cover, and set aside to rest 30-60 minutes.
- Cut dough in half and roll-out each to fit a 12x17 inch Jelly Roll Pan (or makes enough for two 4 ½ x 14” Streussel Pans with removable bottom). (Roll it slightly larger so that when you place the filling in the bottom layer of crust and top it with the second crust, you need enough dough around the edges to crimp the bottom and top layers together to seal the filling like a pie.) Place one rolled layer of crust in the 12x17 Jelly Roll Pan. Set aside. (Cover the remaining top crust with a towel so it doesn’t dry-out.) Make the filling (if it’s a hot day, you may opt to make the filling first, so the crust doesn’t dry-out.)
- Denise’s Shortcut Way (For the Working Italian Girl):
- Buy 3 boxes (6 crusts) of Pillsbury Pie Dough found in the refrigerator section of your favorite Grocer. Cut-and-paste 3 crusts and roll it out for the bottom 12x17 inch crust, and repeat this procedure with 3 crusts for the top crust layer. Make sure you roll it out slightly larger than 12x17 so you can crimp the crusts together like a pie to seal-in the filling.
- Place the first rolled crust in the 12x17 Jelly Roll Pan and cover. Set aside. (Cover the remaining top crust with a towel so it doesn’t dry-out.) Make the filling (if it’s a hot day, you may opt to make the filling first, so the crust doesn’t dry-out.)
- Filling Ingredients (You can even make this the day before):
- 8 ½ pounds of fresh Leeks, cleaned well to get the sand out and sliced thinly
- ½ pound (approx 3 bunches) Scallions (Green Onions) cleaned and sliced thinly
- 5 Eggs, beaten (Plus an extra egg for the top crust when baking)
- 4-5 Cloves Garlic, crushed (Denise added this…I think Nonni forgot)
- 1 pound grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- To make the filling, sauté sliced Leeks and Green Onions in Olive Oil in your largest frying pan. You will need to do this in batches as 8 pounds won’t fit in your pan all at once. When the Leeks are soft and limp, transfer them to a very large bowl to cool. Once all the Leeks and Scallions are cooled, add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix thoroughly to make the filling.
- Transfer Leek filling to the bottom crust, which has already been prepared in your 12x17 Jelly Roll Pan. Smooth-out the filling with a spatula to make even. Top the filling with your top 12x17 crust layer. Crimp bottom and top crusts around the edges like a pie to seal filling. Prick the top layer of crust with a fork to form air vents. Beat one egg, and brush on the top layer of crust to make it shinny and pretty.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes until golden brown. Let cool 30 minutes or so. Cut into squares and place on a serving platter and pass-around as a “Finger-Food” Appetizer. (The Italian way is to do it this way: before cutting, transfer the whole 12x17 cooked Torta onto a large, wood board (you know, the large board that Nonno made For Nonni to make Ravioli), then cut into squares and serve it right on the board.)
- Serves: 50-60 people (Italians always have a crowd!) (Enough for one 12x17” Jelly Roll Pan or
- Two 4 ½ x 14” Streussel Pans with Removable Bottom)
Hello Members! I found the appetizer recipe I’ve been searching for – Torta di Porri (Leek Torta) courtesy of Annette. I tested it and it came out delicious! It is one of my father’s favorites, and I never got the recipe before my Nonni passed-away, so I plan on surprising my father and making it for him on Father’s Day. It makes enough appetizers for a large crowd, or you can cut it in larger squares and serve with a side salad for lunch. It is absolutely delicious, something different, and worth the effort. I just know you will enjoy it!