Tuscan Style Chicken
- Cooking Time: 90
- Servings: 5-6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 1 free range chicken, 3-4 pounds (1.4 - 1.8 kg)
- cracked black pepper and sea salt to taste
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 1 14 oz (398ml) can water-packed artichokes
- 1 head garlic
- 1 lemon
- 2 cups pearl onions peeled
- 1 cup oil-cured olives (Arnaud)
- 1 cup cracked green olives
- 2 tbsps coarsely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tbsps coarsely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200C).
- Place chicken on a cutting board and cut the chicken up the back. Open it up. Lay flat, skin side up and press to flatten.
- Rub it with olive oil and sprinkle with cracked pepper and sea salt.
- Set aside.
- Slice the fennel thinly and place in a large bowl.
- Drain the artichokes and cut into sixths.
- Add them to the fennel
- Separate the cloves of garlic, but do not peel;place them in bowl.
- Cut the lemon into 6 wedges, squeeze the juice over the fennel and drop the wedges into the bowl as well
- To peel the onions, cut the ends off and drop them into boiling water for about 15 seconds. Refresh them in cold water, then drain them- the skins will slip right off.
- Add to other ingredients, along with the olives, herbs and wine.
- Toss all the ingredients to mix
- Place the vegetables evenly in a large roasting pan with the prepared chicken on top.
- Roast uncovered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the oven.
- Pierce the inside thigh with a fork: the chicken is cooked through if the juices run clear, or the internal temperature reads 180F (82C)
- To serve, cut the chicken into pieces and spoon the vegetable garnish around each servint