Ultimate Ginger Cookie
- Servings: 16
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsps ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed (I used light brown)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup unsulfured molasses (I used soroghum molasses)
- 1 extra-large egg, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups chopped crystallized ginger (6 ounces) (I used 2/3 cups)
- granulated sugar, for rolling the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and salt and then combine the mixture with your hands.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the brown sugar, oil, and molasses at medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Turn the mixer to low speed, add the egg, and beat for 1 minute.
- Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula and beat for 1 minute more.
- With the mixer still on low, slowly add the dry ingredients, and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger and mix until combined.
- Scoop the dough with 2 spoons or a small ice cream scoop.
- With your hands, roll each cookie into a 1 3/4-inch ball and then flatten lightly with your fingers.
- Press both sides of each cookie in sugar and place them on the sheet pans.
- Bake for exactly 13 minutes.
- The cookies will be crackled on the top and soft inside.
- Let the cookies cool on the sheets for a minute or two, then transfer to racks to cool completely.
Spicy, Chewy, Aromatic, and Heavenly!I came across this recipe at a food blog site yesterday and HAD to make them. I only had 2/3 cup of the crystallized ginger but it worked wonderfully. My changes are in () since I didn't have a couple of things on hand. Definitely an awesome recipe if you like ginger/molasses cookies! INA GARTEN’S ULTIMATE GINGER COOKIE Recipe from Ina Garten’s Barefoot at Home, p. 192 Ina writes that these cookies are best freshly baked. I’m inclined to agree with her. She mentions that she rolls them into balls, refrigerates the dough & bakes them fresh when it suits her fancy.