Vanilla Cupcakes With Lemon Buttercream
- Cooking Time: 20-25
- Servings: 24
- 225g cups self-rising flour
- 190g cups all-purpose flour
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 360g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and line two 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- 2. Sift the flours together in a small bowl and set aside. Measure out the milk into a cup and stir in the vanilla and also set aside for now.
- 3. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, approximately 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4. Add the flour in three parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not overbeat (this will make them very tough, I speak from experience!). Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
- 5. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about three-quarters full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- 6. Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing with lemon buttercream frosting.
Based on a recipe from the Magnolia Bakery but adapted for my far less sugar-tolerant tastebuds. The lemon frosting pairs nicely with the vanilla cupcakes and helps cut through some of the sweetness with its fresh acidity! Full post and frosting recipe can be found on my food blog - http://www.insanitytheory.net/kitchenwench/2008/04/13/magnoliabakerycupcakes/