Vegetarian O'Brien Potatoes
- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 210
- 12.5 pounds all purpose potatoes
- 2 pounds butter
- 6 medium or 3 large onions, chopped
- 9 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 6 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1½ cup parsley flakes
- In a large pan cook the potatoes the skin until they are fork tender (depending on the size of the pan you might have to cook the potatoes in two badges.
- When they are cooked remove them from the pan and place them in a large bowl until they are cool enough to handle.
- In a large skillet met 2 sticks of butter over moderately high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes or until soft. With a slotted spoon remove the onions to a bowl.
- Peel and dice potatoes. Add 2 sticks of butter to a large skillet and stir in half of the potatoes with 4½ teaspoons thyme, 3 teaspoons sea salt and ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper. Cook without stirring or until potatoes begin to brown. Stir and continue cooking the potatoes longer until browned throughout. Place potatoes in a large stainless steel bowl. Repeat the process.
- Add 2 sticks of butter in an other skillet and add bell peppers. Sauté for 5 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Return the onions and bell peppers to the skillet. Stir in the evaporated milk, cook for 1 minute, then sprinkle with the parsley flakes and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add onion mixture to the potatoes and mix thoroughly. Place in a 19½ x 12 x 3 inch baking pan