Vidalia Onion Soup
- Servings: 4-5
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- White of 1 egg, beaten
- 1 T Italian herb seasoning
- 1 t seasoned salt
- 2 T butter
- 2 medium Vidalia onions(or other sweet onion), sliced
- 2 t sugar
- 5 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in pan and saute onions over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in sugar and beef broth; add salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
- Place bread in bottom of soup cups; pour soup over bread; or pour soup into bowls and top with croutons.
- *My version includes topping with a slice of swiss cheese and broiling! KK
- Nutritional analysis per serving, 8 servings, (without cheese): 132 calories, 4 g fat, 16 g carbs, 10 g protien, 8 mg cholesterol, 1118 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 26% calories from fat.
My favorite comfort food on a chilly day. This version, posted in the local paper by Mary Green, North Richland Hills, TX, is fairly healthy, with the whole wheat croutons and all. The last time I made it, I had the deli slice circles of baby swiss that fit perfectly over my soup bowls. I layered soup, croutons, then the cheese on top..put under the broiler until melted, browned and bubbly. Nutritional analysis per serving, 8 servings, (without cheese): 132 calories, 4 g fat, 16 g carbs, 10 g protien, 8 mg cholesterol, 1118 mg sodium, 2 g fiber, 26% calories from fat.