Vinegar Pastry Crust
- Cooking Time: Depends
- Servings: 2 Pastry Shells
- Preparation Time: 45 minutes
- 2 1/4 cups Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar (or to taste).
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons ice water (or as needed if too dry/wet)
- blend the dry ingredients and then cut in the shortening. In a separate container (I just use a water cup) mix the egg, vinegar, and water. Slowly pour the liquid into the dry and mix with a fork until it forms dough.
- chill the dough for at least 30 minutes, then it can be rolled out using rice flour (probably sweet rice flour is best) or you can do what I do and roll it between two pieces of wax paper. I haven’t played with pre-baking the crust yet, I assume 10 minutes or until browned under 425 or 450.
- Makes enough pastry for a 2-crust 9″ pie or 2 pastry shells