Warm Banana Souffle and an Interview with Lord Voldemort
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 2-3 ramekins (reserving the 3rd ramekin for overflow)
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 large, ripe banana
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lime or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar (plus more for dusting)
- Melted chocolate for drizzling
- You will also need:
- 2 bowls
- 1 fork
- an electric mixer
- (Ingredients may be doubled or tripled in proper ratios if making Warm Banana Souffle for a crowd.
- 1. In a medium-sized bowl, mash 1 large, ripe banana with a fork. Add 1 & 1/2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lime (or lemon) juice and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Blend thoroughly and set aside.
- 2. In a chilled bowl, whip 2 chilled egg whites to a soft peak stage. Gradually add 1 & 1/2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar to soft peaked egg whites. Continue whipping egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- 3. Working in thirds, gradually (and gently) fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the mashed banana until combined.
- 4. Spoon souffle mixture into individual ramekins prepared with non-stick cooking spray; divide evenly. While some recipes suggest filling the ramekins just short of the top, I suggest filling the ramekins right to the top or going just slightly passed. Set filled ramekins on a cookie sheet (or jelly roll pan) and place in lower third of a preheated 450 degree F oven with upper rack removed. Turn on the oven’s interior light and keep a close eye on your souffles. Resist the temptation to open the door during baking (to do so would risk the souffles falling prematurely). Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes. Trust your instincts and judge doneness by rise and top browning evenly, in addition to baking time.
- 5. When souffles are done, remove from oven and drizzle with melted chocolate. Using a non-slip hot pad or thick, textured kitchen towel, remove ramekins to individual plates and serve immediately