Warm Quinoa and Veggie Salad with Citrus Savannah Vinaigrette
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups frozen sliced, tri-colored bell peppers
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 2 cups sugar snap peas
- 1 medium orange
- 1/2 medium lemon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pinch of salt
- 5 Savannah Smiles Girl Scout Cookies, finely crushed
- 1 (6 oz) bag baby spinach
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the quinoa and the vegetable stock to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pan, and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until quinoa is tender and the stock is absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside. If making the quinoa ahead of time, refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and the carrots and saute for about 2 minutes. Add the peppers, corn and sugar snap peas, and continue to cook until the onions and carrots are softened and the rest of the vegetables are heated through, about 5 minutes, reducing heat if necessary to avoid scorching.
- While the vegetables are cooking, in a small bowl combine the remaining olive oil with the juice of one orange, the juice of 1/2 lemon, and the ground pepper. Whisk in the finely crushed cookies, stirring until smooth. Add a pinch of salt, if desired; set aside.
- Add the quinoa to the vegetables and cook until just heated through. Stir in the vinaigrette. Arrange a handful of spinach leaves on a plate, top with a portion of the quinoa and garnish with orange and lemon slices. Serves 6.