Welcoming Kitchen’s Gluten Free Vegan Apple Coffee Cake with Chia Seeds
- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- chia seed mixture
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- pepita topping
- 1/2 cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- cake ingredients
- 2 cups gluten-free baking flour mix (Kim used King Arthur)
- 1/2 cup rice milk
- 1/2 cup vegan buttery spread (soy free Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp coconut palm sugar, divided
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided in half
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- add ins
- 1 1/2 cup 1/2-inch diced, peeled apples
- Preheat oven to 180 / 350.
- Lightly oil an 8-inch-square baking pan.
- Combine the chia seeds and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Lightly toast the pepitas in a dry skillet for approximately one minute or until lightly golden.
- In a food processor, pulse together the pepitas, 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- In your stand mixer, cream together the earth balance, 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar and maple syrup.
- Mix in the chia seed mixture and vegan milk.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg using a whisk.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet, one half at a time until well incorporated.
- Gently fold in the apples.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top with a damp spatula.
- Spread the pepita mixture over top.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. YUMMO!
I got this recipe from Kim Lutz at Welcoming Kitchen. This was Recipe #25 in the "Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid" event. This apple coffee cake is DIVINE! This is really different, and has a salty-sweet flavour. The apples add a lovely sweetness and a delightful moisture to this treat that is gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free, soy free and vegan! I love the use of chia seeds in this recipe too. Aren't those little beads of joy a gluten free vegan baker's best friend? WOW! Learn more about Kim's recipe in her original blog post. Discover more about Kim Lutz at Welcoming Kitchen.