Wheat and Dairy Free Sugar Cookies
- Cooking Time: 8 minutes
- Servings: 3 dozen cookies
- 2/3 cup Crisco all vegetable shortening - regular or butter flavored
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups Hodgson Mill baking mix
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1. Mix shortening, sugar, and vanilla at a medium speed until well blended.
- 2. Beat egg into mixture.
- 3. In a separate bowl, stir together Hodgson Mill baking mix, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- 4. Mix dry ingredients into shortening mixture at low speed until well blended.
- 5. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 6. Heat oven to 375.
- 7. Place 1/2 of dough in a ball on a sheet of plastic wrap. Cover with more plastic wrap and roll out the dough - not too thin as these cookies can be difficult to move to the cookie sheet without tearing.
- 8. Cut with cookie cutters and sprinkle with sugar (or don't do the sugar if you plan to ice them).
- 9. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet for approx. 8 minutes or until set.
- 10. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet a few minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
My son has wheat and cow's milk allergies, which means baked treats can be a challenge. Other moms from his preschool class and I are planning a Halloween party for the class and they asked me if there were any sugar cookies he could eat so the class could do a cookie decorating project at the party. I didn't know of a recipe, so I adapted one to make it work. For wheat and dairy free cookies, they are pretty good. I wanted to share this recipe since I know many people who are wheat free, gluten free, or dairy free have a tough time finding decent cookie recipes!