Whole Wheat Linguine with Green Pea Pesto-VEGAN
- Servings: 6
- 1 pound whole wheat linguine
- 1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed green peas
- 1 cup packed flat-leaf parsley leaves (from 1 bunch parsley)
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves, or a combination of basil and mint
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brined capers, drained
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped walnut pieces, toasted
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add linguine and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, then drain linguine and transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, put peas, parsley, basil, lemon juice and capers into a food processor and pulse to make a coarse paste. With the motor running, add oil in a steady stream. Season pesto with salt and pepper.
- Toss hot linguine with reserved 1/2 cup cooking water and pesto. Top with walnuts and serve immediately.
In this dish, a vibrantly colored pesto made from peas and fresh herbs dresses up whole wheat pasta. Try the pesto as a spread on sandwiches and crostini, too. Nutrition Per serving (About 5oz/139g-wt.): 280 calories (160 from fat), 18g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 8g protein, 26g total carbohydrate (6g dietary fiber, 2g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium