fettuccine with sausage, sage, and crispy garlic
- 3/4 pound fettuccine (preferably egg fettuccine, such as De Cecco)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 pound sweet Italian turkey sausages, casings removed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 cup grated Asiago cheese* (about 3 ounces)
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic slices and saute until light golden, about 45 seconds. Using slotted spoon, transfer garlic to bowl.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add sage to same skillet and stir until beginning to crisp, about 10 seconds. Add sausage and saute until browned and crisp in spots, breaking up with fork, about 8 minutes.
- Drain pasta; add pasta and remaining 1 tablespoon butter to skillet. Using tongs, toss pasta with sausage mixture. Add crushed red pepper, if desired; season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer pasta to large bowl. Top with crispy garlic and grated Asiago cheese.