kokt potatisgratäng (potatoes au gratin)
- 2 extra large or 4 medium-ish potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds, I think), peeled and sliced thinnish
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, smushed and minced
- 1 cup heavy cream (235 ml)
- 1 cup whole milk (why cut the fat at this point?) (235 ml)
- 1 heavy pinch of salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion with a heavy pinch of salt until soft, add garlic and saute a couple minutes more, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the milk and cream and bring to a boil. The mixture should taste a little too salty.
- Add the sliced potatoes (do not hold them in water first, you'll lose the starch and you want that) to the milk mixture and softly boil for 10-15 minutes. The potatoes should be tender but not mushy and the starch will have thickened the cream sauce some.
- Pour into a 2 quart casserole dish that has been oiled or sprayed with non-stick spray. Push the potatoes around in the casserole until more or less even.
- Bake for 30 minutes or so. Keep watch that the top doesn't brown too much, cover if necessary. Potatoes will be tender, top will be golden brown and the sauce will be lovely and thick when done.