mussels for one or two
- 8 ounces mussels, whole (about 16 small mussels)
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup nonfat chicken broth
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained, not rinsed
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- a dash of chili seasoning
- Saute the onions with just a drop of oil or non-stick spray. Add jalapeno and garlic and cook until fragrant. Add tomatoes, broth and wine until it comes to a soft boil. Season as desired. Stir in beans and drop in frozen mussels. Cook for a few minutes - until mussels are warmed through. Fresh mussels will need slightly different timing.
- Serves 2.
- Per Serving: 192 Calories; 3g Fat; 20g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 32mg Cholesterol; 655mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable.
Mussels are fabulous. Not only are they dead easy but they’re practically pure protein. Here in land-locked southern Missouri I’ve used frozen mussels. Don’t let that stop you - these tender little mussels have 15 grams of protein and only about 3 grams of fat per 4 ounce (in shell) serving.