- Servings: 6
- 8 bacon slices,cut into 1inch pieces
- 1-lb dried pinto beans
- 5-1/2 cups water
- 2- onions chopped
- 8-large garlic cloves,minced
- 1-12oz. bottle dark beer
- 4-tsp ground cumin
- 1-tbls ground coriander
- 1-tbls sugar
- 1-tbls chile powder
- 1-jalapeno chile,chopped
- 3-plum tomatoes,chopped
- 1-cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook bacon in heavy large pot over medium heat till brown and almost crisp.Using slotted spoon,transfer to paper towels and drain,discard drippings.return bacon to same large pot.
- Place beans in same pot.Add water,onions and garlic,boil15 min.
- Reduce heat to medium.Add beer,cumin,coriander,sugar,chile powder,and jalapeno.
- Cover partially and simmer 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes to beans,cover partially and simmer 45 min.Uncover,simmer til beans are tender and mixture is thick,about 20 min.(can be made 1 day ahead.cover,chill.bring to simmer before serving)
- Stir cilantro into beans.Season with salt and pepper and serve with tortillas.
- 6 servings