Why I Love This Recipe
This is a summer season special dish made with kachhi kairi or raw mango and chana dal. My mom usually makes it for Chaitra gouri Haldi-Kumkum gatherings for snack or side dish. It is traditionally served with kairi panha(sweet sour raw mango drink) .
Ingredients You'll Need
1 cup chana dal /split bengal gram
½ - ¾ cup grated raw mango/kairi
¼ cup finely freshly chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
3-4 green chilies
10-12 curry leaves/ kadipatta
1-2 tbsp oil for tempering
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 tsp cumin Seeds
¼ tsp asafoetida/hing
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp sugar or as per taste
Salt as per taste
1. Soak the chana dal in four cups of water for at least four hours. Once soaked drain it thoroughly.
2. Now grind dal using mortar pestle coarsely, do not add any water while grinding. You can do the same using mixer.
3. You can also coarsely grind jeera/cumin, chillies and a pinch of salt in the mortar pestle. This will give your dal extra flavor.
4. Add this chilly mix to chana dal and mix well.
5. Now add grated raw mango or kairi , salt and sugar and coriander leaves to this dal mixture.
6. Heat oil in pan for tempering , to this add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add asafoetida and turmeric powder. Lastly add curry leaves and let it fry.
7. Turn off the flame and this tempering to our chana dal and kairi mix.
8. Ambe dal is ready.