Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
2 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
1 package active dry yeast
1/2 cup very warm 1% milk
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
Vegetable cooking spray
5 cups peeled, thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons soft breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Mix together 1 cup of the flour with salt, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, and yeast stirring well.
2. Pour in the warm milk, 2 tablespoons of the margarine, and egg.
Use an electric mixer to beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
3. Add an additional 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon of the flour until you have formed a soft dough. Allow dough to rise, covered, for 1 hour in a warm place.
4. Coat a 15x10x1-inch jellyroll pan with cooking spray and spread the dough into it using oiled fingers or spatula.
5. Allow to rise again, covered, for 30 minutes in a warm place.
6. Mix together the sliced apples in a large bowl with the lemon juice.
Add 1/4 cup of the sugar and mix to coat the apples.
7. Arrange the apples in a layer across the top of the bread.
8. Mix the remaining 1/2 cup of flour with the remaining sugar and margarine.
Add the breadcrumbs and cinnamon and stir well. Spread the mixture over the apples.
9. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
Slice and serve!
Apfelkuchen means "apple cake" in German. Nutritional Information:Nutritional Information (per serving): 92 Cal; 2.2g Total Fat; 0.5g Saturated Fat; 16.8g Carb; 7mg Cholesterol; 47mg Sodium; 1.6g Protein.