Why I Love This Recipe
I made this for Easter and it was gone within minutes.
Ingredients You'll Need
Pastry for 2 crusts
7 cups sliced, peeled baking apples (Granny Smith or Jonathan work best)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
1. In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with lemon juice.
2. Combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apples and toss well to coat.
3. Fill pastry lined 9 inch pie pan with apple mixture. Dot with butter.
4. Place second crust on top of pie filling, cut slits in top of crust to vent. Seal the edges of the crust with a fork or by hand.
5. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and water. Brush mixture over top crust.
6. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
7. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 40-45 minutes more or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.