Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
8 slices bacon, cut in half (save bacon grease)
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cups Colby-Jack cheese, grated
½ cup honey
⅓ cup prepared mustard
¼ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup corn syrup
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
1. Pound breasts to ½- thick. Rub with seasoned salt; cover and chill 30 minutes.
2. Fry bacon until crisp; remove and set aside – leave about 1 tablespoon bacon grease in the skillet and pour the remainder in a cup for use later in the recipe.
3. Add mushrooms to skillet; sauté lightly, remove and set aside.
4. Combine honey, mustard, mayonnaise, corn syrup, and onion flakes in a medium bowl. Remove half of this mixture to use later.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Heat 2 tablespoons bacon grease (add vegetable oil if necessary) in skillet over medium heat; sauté breasts 3 to 5 minutes per side or until browned.
7. Put a little honey mustard sauce in the bottom of a 9- by 13-inch baking dish and spread around. Apply the remaining honey mustard sauce to the top of each breast then layer tops of each breast with bacon slices and mushrooms. Sprinkle tops with grated cheese and bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese melts and chicken juices run clear.
8. Serve over rice.