BEEF BRISKET WITH ONION-LEMON MARMALADE
Why I Love This Recipe
NOTES: (1) _Important_ at this point, do _not_ add salt to the pan or sauce. It would dry out and toughen the meat, especially if the meat had been produced according to kosher guidelines.
(2) A this point, brisket may be refrigerated until the final cooking.
Ingredients You'll Need
* 1 beef brisket (6 to 8 lbs)
* 2 large onions, sliced
* 2 large lemons, peeled and thinly sliced
* 2 cups port (or grape juice concentrate thinned down with apple juice--if you use this alcohol route, eliminate brown sugar)
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 4 cloves garlic, chopped coarsely
* 1-1/2 tsp. coarsely pepper (1)
Trim excess fat from brisket. In a roasting pan, place onion slices, lemon slices, and garlic. Lay brisket on top of vegetables.
Mix together port or juices, brown sugar; stir until sugar dissolves, then pour evenly over brisket. Sprinkle brisket with pepper, and cover roasting pan tightly with foil. Bake in a 300" oven until brisket is tender when pierced, about 4 hours. (2)
When brisket is tender, uncover pan and return it to the oven. Raise temperature to 450" to brown the meat, about 20 minutes. Remove brisket from pan.
Skim fat from pan juices and put juices and vegetables into sauce pan. Boil, uncovered, stirring often. As mixture thickens, reduce heat to medium and stir constantly; cook until thick and shiny, and reduced to about 1-3/4 cups. Add salt to taste. To serve slice across the grain, spoon marmalade over brisket. For fancy, garnish with lemon "bows" and chopped parsley.