Baked Cheese and Shrimp Grits
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
* 4 cup water
* 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
* 1 cup uncooked quick grits
* 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
* 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
* 1/2 cup chopped green onion
* 1/2 pound small frozen shrimp, thawed
* 3 item eggs, slightly beaten
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Heat oven to 350F. Grease 11/2-quart baking dish or six 7-to-8-ounce ramekins. In large saucepan, bring water and salt to boil. Slowly stir in grits. Cover and reduce heat; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, butter, 1/4 cup green onion and the shrimp. Add eggs, milk and pepper; blend well. Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and onion. Bake until top is golden brown, 45 to 60 minutes for baking dish and 30 minutes for individual ramekins.
If preparing fewer than six servings, freeze remaining uncooked portion in well-sealed container. Variations: Substitute 1 cup cooked, diced ham or cooked vegetables for shrimp.