Baked Fish and Chips with Lemon Smashed Peas
"By Rory R"Serves 2 | Prep Time 15 minutes | Cook Time 25 minutes
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
3 medium-sized floury potatoes such as Maris Piper, sliced into batons (no need to peel).
2 tbsp olive oil 1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 ground black pepper
2 large Haddock or cod fillets about 250g (half a pound) each, skin on.
1 1/2 slices of whole meal bread gravy/ shredded ( use good quality gluten free bread if required).
150g frozen petit poi’s peas
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tablespoon half fat crime fraiche
Zest of half a lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/ 400 degrees F.Line two baking trays with parchment or a non- stick silicone mat.
2. Place the potato batons onto one of the trays. Drizzle on half of the olive oil. Sprinkle on the paprika, salt and pepper. Mix everything together with your hands, then arrange on the tray in a single layer. Place in the oven, on the top shelf for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place the fish on the other baking tray, skin- side down. Pat the flesh of the fish dry with a piece of kitchen roll.
4. Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl and drizzle over the remaining olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, then mix with a spoon, until the breadcrumbs are coated in the oil. Spoon the breadcrumb mixture on top of the fish fillets.
5. Once the chips have been in the oven for 15 minutes, turn over using a spatula and move the tray to the middle of the oven. Add the fish to the oven, on the top shelf. Cook for 10 minutes, until the chips are golden and the fish is cooked through.
6. Whilst the fish and chips are in the oven, steam or microwave the petit pois until cooked. Place in a bowl and mash with a fork. Stir in the lemon juice and creme fraiche. Top with the lemon zest.
7. Take the fish and chips out of the oven. Divide between two plates and serve with the lemon smashed peas and a dollop of tomato sauce if desired.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Dinner