Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Why I Love This Recipe
The comfort food of Mac and Cheese with some Italian Flair! This recipe initially came from a family in-law, but no exact cooking amounts were ever written down. It took a fair palate to make the perfect balance.
**For a different flavor, try sprinkling over some French Fried Onions, between steps 11 and 12.
Ingredients You'll Need
To cook pasta:
2c (1/2lb) Elbow Macaroni Pasta
Water- amount according to package instructions
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 Tbsp Margarine or Butter
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Italian Seasonings
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/8 tsp Garlic Powder
8oz Mild Cheddar Cheese BLOCK, cut into slices 1/4-1/8 inch thin
Shredded Cheese of choice- Colby, Monterey, Cheddar mix
Paprika- for sprinkling
1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Meanwhile, cook macaroni as specified: In a large pot over high heat, bring water to a full rolling boil.
3) Add oil, salt, then pasta.
4) Cook UNcovered for 9 minutes- pasta should be al dente.
5) Drain and rinse with cool water to prevent over cooking, but just so pasta remains warm- but not scalding, so margarine/butter will melt.
6) In the same pot, with drained pasta, mix in margarine, salt, Italian seasonings, pepper, and garlic powder. (Again, margarine/butter should melt if pasta is warm enough.)
7) In the bottom of a glass 8x6x2" (6 cup) baking dish, spread half the amount of seasoned cooked pasta.
8) Next, layer and even half the amount of cheese slices over the pasta- this should make a "sheet" of cheese.
9) Layer again, the remaining seasoned cooked pasta, spreading it evenly into the dish.
10) Layer the remaining amount of sliced cheese in the same manner as before.
11) Lastly to layer, evenly sprinkle the shredded cheese of choice.
12) And finally, sprinkle over paprika in a "dash" motion.
13) Bake for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. If desired, Broil for 3 minutes.