Baked Namak Para – Healthy and Crispy
Why I Love This Recipe
Crispy, crunchy and flavorsome Baked Namak Para recipe that is much healthier alternative compare to traditionally deep fried version of this Indian snack. Namak Para is a popular North Indian snack traditionally made with all purpose flour (maida), semolina (suji / rawa) and seasoned with salt and carom seeds (ajwain).
Ingredients You'll Need
-140 gms Whole wheat flour 1 cup
-130 gms All Purpose flour 1 cup
-50 gms Almond Flour 1/2 cup
-50 gms Semolina Flour Suji/Rawa -1/4 cup
-4 tbsp Oil
-1/2 cup Water
-1 tsp Salt or as per taste
-1 tsp Carom Seeds Ajwain
1. In a large bowl or in a stand mixer bowl add whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, semolina and almond flour.
2. Now add seasonings -salt and carom seeds and oil.
3. Rub the flour and oil in case making dough with hands or mix the flour at lowest speed setting in case of stand mixture. The oil should be well incorporated in all of the flour. Do this for 3 to 4 minutes, you don’t want to rush this step and keep scrapping the sides of bowl with spatula. Once incorporated, the mixture resembles crumbly. Press some flour between your palm- it should form a shape (& not crumble) – means oil is enough and well incorporated.
4. Now, start adding water, little by little and mix to form a stiff dough. It should just come together and form a stiff dough. I used around ½ cup and 2 tbs of water here to get the right stiffness.
5. Once the dough comes together, place it on your work surface and knead using your knuckles for few minutes.
6. Divide the dough in three parts wrap it with cling wrap and let all the dough portions rest for 30 minutes.
7. At this point start pre-heating the oven @ 375oF.
8. Once the dough is well rested, take one part and roll it into a 1/6th or 4 mm thick circle.
9. Using pastry cutter or pizza cutter cut them into diamonds. You can also use cookie cutter to cut them into different shapes if you want.Roller dough cut in Diamond shape
10. Transfer the cut diamond pieces on parchment lined baking sheet. Make sure you don’t overcrowd the baking sheet.
11. Place the baking sheet in a pre-heated oven and bake for 10 minutes. Keep a close eye or start a timer.
12. After 10 minutes carefully flip all the pieces.
13. Now bake for another 3 to 4 minutes.
14. Let them cool down before storing or serving. It will get crispy, once they cool down.