Barley with Roasted Carrots, Snow Peas, and Lemon-Yogurt Sauce
Why I Love This Recipe
Tender barley with sweet pan-roasted carrots and a tangy yogurt-based sauce makes this recipe a go-to vegetarian dish. This recipe was submitted by a Mira Vista School parent Kirsten Meder! Photo courtesy of Daily Mediterranean Diet.
Ingredients You'll Need
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
1 ½ tsp grated lemon zest
1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
1 ½ tbsp diced mint
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup pearl barley
5 carrots, peeled
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
¼ tsp ground coriander
8 oz snow peas, strings removed, halved
2/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
½ tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1. Make the sauce by combining the yogurt, ½ tsp lemon zest, 1 ½ tsp lemon juice, 1 ½ tsp mint, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper.
2. Bring 16 cups of water and 1 tbsp salt to a boil over high heat. Add the barley, return to a boil, and cook for 20-40 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
3. Halve carrots crosswise and quarter lengthwise.
4. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add carrots and ½ tsp coriander and cook for 5-6 minutes until lightly charred and tender.
5. Add snow peas and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Remove to a plate.
6. Heat 1 ½ tsp oil over medium heat. Add sunflower seeds, cumin, cardamom, ¼ tsp coriander, and ¼ tsp salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until seeds are toasted, about 2 minutes.
7. Combine barley, carrots, and snow peas, 1 tsp lemon zest, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1 Tbsp mint, and 1 ½ tbsp olive oil together.
8. Serve, topping with roasted sunflower seeds and lemon yogurt sauce.