Beef Brisket w/Gravy
Why I Love This Recipe
So I wanted to make a brisket as is tradition on New Year's, but I get tired of the Corned Beef n Cabbage. I dug around on the Interwebz and modified one I found for a Crockpot to use what I had around in the way of seasoning and condiments, and made gravy from the juices! It was YUM!
Ingredients You'll Need
2-4LB Beef Brisket
1/4c Whole-grain Horseradish Mustard
1/8c Cider Vinegar
Salt & Pepper
1/4c Wondra Flour
1 can Beef Broth
1 sm Cabbage, thinly sliced
3 Carrots, sliced
1 Onion, sliced
2-3 cloves Garlic, minced
Salt & Pepper
* Cut brisket in half and put in Crockpot.
* Blend together remaining ingredients for BRISKET, pour over meat and cook on LOW setting 6-8hrs til fork-tender.
* Remove beef and set aside to rest; pour juices from crock into saucepan.
* BEGIN VEGGIES: heat olive oil in skillet for sauteing; add veggies and saute on med heat for 5-7min.
* Add ladle-full of crock juices to veggies once they're tender-crisp; cover and reduce heat to very low to simmer and steam while preparing gravy and meat for serving, stirring occasionally.
* BEGIN GRAVY: add broth to crock juices over med heat in saucepan while slowly incorporating flour with a wire whisk til there are no lumps.
* Cook gravy, whisking frequently, til thickened to your liking, then cover and remove from heat.
* Slice cooled, rested beef across the grain on a serving platter.
* Ladle gravy over meat, setting aside some to for guests to serve themselves (in the event that you also made mashed potatoes, as I did).
* Serve with veggies and your choice of starch (bread, biscuits, taters, rice).