Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1/3 cup currants -- dried
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup onions -- chopped
1 tablespoon garlic -- mined
1 cup green pepper -- chopped
1/3 cup stuffed green olives
3 1/2 cups capers -- drained
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 bay leaf
2 pounds ground round or chuck
3 cups tomatoes -- peeled and chopped
1. Place the currants in a bowl and cover with warm water. Set aside to soak.
2. Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a kettle and add the onion. , garlic and green pepper. Cook, stirring, until wilted. Add the olives, capers, vinegar, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and Tabasco sauce to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes
3. While the vegetable mixture is cooking, heat the remaining oil in a skillet and add the meat. Cook, breaking up the meat with the side of a metal spoon to prevent lumps, until the meat loses its red color.
4. Add the meat to the vegetable mixture and stir to blend.
5. Drain the currants and add them.
6. Add the tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, about 45 minutes Skim off the fat as it rises to the surface during cooking.
7. Serve hot with freshly cooked rice.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 228 Calories; 14g Fat (56.1% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 1101mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch) ; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 2 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.