Black Beans and Polenta
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
3 cups water
* 1 cup yellow cornmeal
* 1 cup water
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 14-1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1 cup bottled salsa with cilantro or other salsa
* 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (3 oz.)
For polenta*: In a large saucepan bring the 3 cups water to boiling. In a medium bowl combine cornmeal, the 1 cup water, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir cornmeal mixture slowly into the boiling water. Cook and stir until mixture comes to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally. (If mixture is too thick, stir in additional water.)
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet combine the beans, undrained tomatoes, and salsa. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir 1/2 cup of the cheese into the polenta. Divide polenta among 4 shallow bowls. Top with the bean mixture and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Makes 4 servings.
*Note: Polenta can be made from a variety of cornmeal products. In this recipe, yellow cornmeal produced the best results.