Blue Ribbon Chili
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
3½ pounds ground beef
1½ pounds ground pork
2 cups onions, coarsely chopped
½ cup garlic, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped fine
⅓ cup paprika
¾ cup chili powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons basil
3 teaspoons cumin
2½ teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1½ teaspoons coriander powder
1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cans beef broth
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups strong coffee (regular or decaf, for consistency and richness)
3 (14.5-ounce) cans of your favorite beans, drained (e.g., pinto, kidney, red, black)
1. Brown the beef and pork in a roaster over medium-high, remove fat as needed.
2. Add the onions, garlic, and green pepper; cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring.
3. Combine all dry seasonings/spices (not the sugars) in a bowl or cup; add the spice blend into the meat mixture and “fry in” the flavors, stirring constantly (it sticks easily), for several minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to medium then add the tomato sauce, beef broth, vinegar, and both sugars, stirring often. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 2½ hours. Add coffee as needed, as it thickens. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
5. Stir in the beans, heat to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes