Chana Masala with Pineapple
"A delicious Indian Curry dish with aromatic spices and flavors. A bit of spice with a hing of sweetness!"Serves 6-8 | Prep Time 1.5 hours | Cook Time 15 Minutes
Why I Love This Recipe
A hint of spicy and a hint of sweet, and it's a fantastic vegetarian option.
Ingredients You'll Need
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 cups prepared marinara or tomato sauce
2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas
1 can (15 ounces) full fat coconut milk
2 teaspoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
1 can (20 ounces) pineapple tidbits Cooked rice, for serving
Cooked rice, for serving
Chopped cilantro (optional garnish)
1 tablespoon garam masala
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1.5 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of cayenne, if desired
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.
2. Add the onions, garlic, and a dash of salt to the pan. Cook until onions and garlic are translucent and tender.
3. Add all spices and stir for 1-2 minute until fragrant. Stir in the marinara sauce and chickpeas. Cook for about 2 minutes.
4. In a separate bowl whisk together coconut milk and cornstarch. Stir this mixture into the pot.
5. Mix well and bring to a boil, then lower the temperature and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
7. Spoon chickpea mixture over cooked rice and top with pieces of pineapple. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
Pairs Well With
Naan Bread and Herbal Tea