Why I Love This Recipe
I think I have had this recipe for over 20 years and never got around to making it until last year. The reason why is because I did not have a fondue pot or fondue forks. Last Christmas I was looking for a dip to try as I was quite bored with all of the standard dips and appetizers that I go to year in and year out. This was really good. I bought some fresh apples and pears and cut them in wedges and dipped them in this cheesy, creamy fondue. I'll probably make it again this year.
Ingredients You'll Need
2 lbs. Gruyere cheese
12 oz. white wine
1 1/2 tbsp. all purpose-flour
1 tbsp. water
1/4 cup kirsch
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1. Grate the Gruyere cheese.
2. In a chafing dish, combine the Gruyere and wine. Bring to boiling and cook until the cheese is melted, stirring constantly.
3. In a small bowl, combine the flour and water and mix well. Add slowly to the Gruyere mixture, stirring after each addition.
4. Add the kirsch, nutmeg and black pepper and mix well.
5. Place the mixture in a fondue pot. Serve with fruit wedges and French bread cubes.