Cherry Almond Christmas Wreath
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (3 1/2 to 4 cups)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 package Fleischmann's® Active Dry or Rapid Rise Yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped red candied cherries
1/2 cup almond paste (5 ounces)
1 egg white
1/2 cup blanched almonds, toasted
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1. In large bowl combine 3/4 cup flour, sugar, undissolved yeast, and salt.
2. Heat water, sour cream and butter until very warm (120º to 130ºF). Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. With spoon, stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
3. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4 to 6 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour. (With Rapid Rise Yeast, cover kneaded dough; let rest on floured surface 10 minutes. Proceed with recipe.)
4. Prepare Almond Filling: Combine almond paste with 1 egg white. Beat with fork until blended. Stir in chopped, blanched almonds, toasted.
5. Punch dough down. On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 9- × 16-inch rectangle. Spread filling to within 1/2-inch of edges; sprinkle with cherries. Roll up from long side as for jelly roll; pinch seam to seal. Form into ring and pinch ends to seal. Place ring, seam side down, on greased baking sheet. With sharp knife, cut slits, 3/4 through dough, at 1-inch intervals. Turn each section on its side. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
6. Bake at 375ºF for 25 minutes or until done. Remove from baking sheet; cool on wire rack. Frost with Almond Icing.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Coffee Cake