Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1 10-ounce jar maraschino cherries
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1. Drain cherries, reserving 2 tablespoons juice. Cut cherries into quarters; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, salt, baking powder and soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat together egg and buttermilk. Add egg mixture, coconut, and drained cherries to flour mixture, stirring with a fork only until combined.
3. Lightly knead on a floured surface 12 times. Pat or lightly roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut dough into 8 pieces, using a floured, 4-inch round biscuit cutter. Place rounds on an ungreased baking sheet. Using a sharp, floured knife, cut each scone into four wedges. Do not separate.
4. Bake in a preheated 400º oven 10 to 12 minutes, or until light golden brown.
5. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and reserved maraschino cherry juice; mix well. Drizzle glaze over hot scones. Serve warm.