Chicken Enchilada Casserole
"Absolutely AMAZING Chicken Enchilada Casserole"Serves 4-6 | Prep Time 30 minutes | Cook Time 45-55 minutes
Why I Love This Recipe
I am more than happy to say that I got this recipe from my sister Janet, but she can't remember where she got it from. It's very simple, and quick, to make for a hurried dinner. Her family absolutely loves it, and I fell in love with it when I tried it over at her house.
You CAN use corn tortillas to make this, but it doesn't taste the same time me. I love it just the way she taught me to make it, and I have tried made it both ways!
I hope that you enjoy this just as much as my family, and my sisters family, enjoys it! Let me know what you think!
Ingredients You'll Need
2 Cups Cooked Chicken, shredded
1 4.5oz can Green Chilies, Undrained (Absolutely necessary!)
1 Pack Small/Large Floured Tortillas
1 160z Can refried beans, Large (you will only use 3/4 can, if you use to much it will be soupy in beans)
1 1/2 19oz can Enchilada Sauce (I used 20 regular cans)
3 Cups Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Green Onions
Sour Cream (If desired)
1) Mix the chicken, 1/12 cups of cheese, and green chilies in a bowel.
2) Pull out a 9x13 casserole dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
3) Add a few tablespoons of enchilada sauce to the bottom of the casserole dish.
4) Layer the tortilla's over the sauce, 1/2 of the refried beans on top of the tortilla shells, followed by the chicken mix, finally add HALF of the remaining cheese.
5) Start the layer over again, you will have a total of 2 layers.
6) Don't forget to top it with cheese at the end!
7) Cover the casserole dish in foil and put in the reheated oven for 45-55 minutes. Check the dish at 45 minutes and take the foil off. Cook for the additional 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted
8) Garnish with the green onions and sour cream (If you want to add sour cream, it tastes amazing without it!)
Pairs Well With
Tortilla Chips, fried green beans, salad