Chicken Fried Steak
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
4 cube steaks, about 4-ounces each
¼ teaspoon each of salt and black pepper (for steak seasoning)
38 saltine crackers, crushed
1¼ cups flour, divided
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1½ teaspoons black pepper, divided
½ teaspoon cayenne
4¾ cups milk (mostly for gravy)
3½ cups peanut oil
1. Sprinkle salt and pepper over steaks; set aside.
2. Combine crushed crackers, 1 cup flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, and
3. Whisk together ¾ cup milk and eggs.
4. Dredge steaks in cracker mixture, dip in milk mixture, and then dredge in crumbs again.
5. Pour oil into a 12-inch skillet (not nonstick) and heat over medium heat (if too hot, it will burn!). Fry
one side of steaks for 10 minutes; turn and fry other side for 4 to 5 more minutes or until golden brown.
Remove steaks to a wire rack on a jellyroll pan. Keep steaks warm in a 225 degree oven.
6. Carefully drain hot oil from skillet, reserving cooked bits and 1 tablespoon drippings.
7. Whisk together remaining ¼ cup flour, 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and 4 cups milk. Pour into
reserved drippings in skillet; cook over medium-high heat for 10 to 12 minutes until thickened, whisking
8. Serve gravy with steaks and mashed potatoes.