Why I Love This Recipe
(Low-Salt Cookbook by the American Heart Association)
Ingredients You'll Need
2 1/2 cup dried no-yolk noodles (could sub wheat noodles)
6 bnless, sknless chicken breast halves, all fat removed
Vegetable oil spray
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
2 tbsp paprika (sweet Hungarian paprika preferred)
14 oz. canned diced tomatoes (No salt)
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
2 tbsp fat-free sour cream
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp + water (to make Flour Slurry)
1. Cook noodles accordingly.
Drain and set aside.
2. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces.
3. Heat sprayed skillet over med. heat.
Add chicken and brown lightly on all sides. Remove from skillet.
4. Add onion and paprika to skillet.
Cook 2-3 mintes, or until onion is translucent, stirring constantly.
5. Stir in tomato and broth; cook for 2-3 minutes or until hot.
6.Return chicken to skillet.
Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until tender.
7. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together yogurt and sour cream.
8. Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables from skillet.
9. Pour flour slurry into skillet; cook for 2-3 minutes, or until sauce has thickened, whisking constantly.
10. Whisk in yogurt mixture.
11. Return chicke and vegetables to skillet; stir.
12. Put noodles on large platter and top with chicken mixture.
Serves 6, 1 cup per serving. 342 calories, 2g total fat, 3 g fiber