Chicken Pot Pie with Green Beans in a Cream Sauce
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1 medium onion, diced
1 stick of celery, sliced
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 cups cream
2 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
2 teaspoons dry crushed sage
1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
1/2 teaspoon dry tarragon
2 1/2 cups fresh green beans, snipped and sliced
salt and pepper to taste
For the topping:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
Sauté the onion and celery in butter in a large skillet until it is tender. Remove the pan from the heat.
2. Place the 1/3 cup flour in a small bowl. Add the cream a little at a time, stirring after each addition until you have a smooth paste. Continue adding the rest of the cream.
3. Add the cream sauce and chicken broth and reheat, stirring frequently, until the mixture just starts to simmer and becomes thickened. Add the chicken. Add the sage, thyme, and tarragon. Salt and pepper to taste. (The salt required will vary depending on the salt content of the broth.)
4. Parboil the green beans until they are bright green but not quite tender. Add the green beans to the chicken mixture. Place the chicken and bean mixture in a greased 2 1/2-quart casserole dish.
5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
6. For the topping, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry knife. Add the buttermilk. You should have a thick batter, almost dough-like. Spoon the batter over the hot chicken mixture.
Note: Alternately, you can roll a top crust. Add enough flour to make a thicker dough and knead the dough together with your hands. Roll it flat with a rolling pin to the size and shape of your pot pie. Use the pan or the lid to the pan to trace and trim the dough. Set it on the filling. Cut several sits with a sharp knife to allow steam to escape. Make a biscuit or two from any trimmings and bake with the pot pie.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is a golden brown
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Main Dish