Chicken n Dumplings
Why I Love This Recipe
BY request! Also- you can sub a couple of canned cream o chicken soup in place of making the sauce yourself...
Ingredients You'll Need
1 Chicken, stewed, skinned & boned
4c chicken stock (from cooking the chicken; if you're short, add milk to make at least 4c liquid)
1 Carrot, diced
1 Celery, diced
1sm Onion, diced
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 stick Butter, halved
Salt & Pepper
* Saute veggies and garlic, seasoned w/salt & pepper, in 1/2 stick butter in a Dutch oven or other large, heavy pot til tender, 7-10min; remove from pan drippings and set aside w/your shredded chicken.
* Add other 1/2 of butter to pot, reduce heat and add flour; whisk and cook to form a thick paste, approx 3-4min. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SCORCH, but you want to cook it some.
* While whisking, slowly pour in a slow, small stream approx 2c of stock, whisking while it incorporates and thickens.
* Continue adding stock and whisking to incorporate til you've used it all and you have a slightly thick chicken "sauce" or "gravy".
* Allow sauce to come to a low boil, and while this is cooking, mix together Bisquick and buttermilk to form a stiff dough.
* Once sauce is at a constant bubbling simmer, begin dropping dough in by the spoonful; as you add new dropfuls, push them under those already at the surface.
* Cook at a simmer, stirring periodically, 15min til dumplings are cooked thru.
* Add chicken and veggies back to pot, and cook another 5-10min to heat thru.