Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
1 or 2 medium onions (to your taste), chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
½ cup (1 standard stick) butter
3 or 4 (15-ounce) cans chili beans
1 (16-ounce) jar medium salsa
1 (16-ounce) bottle hickory smoke flavored barbeque sauce (or less than 1 bottle)
1 (10-ounce) jar honey (or less, to your taste)
2 (7-ounce) packages corn bread mix (including ingredients required by package directions)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
14-inch Dutch oven
Medium-size mixing bowl
1. Place 32 coals under Dutch oven. Brown meat and onions. Drain excess grease.
2. Add pepper, chili pepper, butter, chili beans, salsa, barbeque sauce, honey, and seasonings. Stir.
3. Mix corn bread in medium-sized bowl according to package directions.
4. Pour corn bread mix evenly over chili. Do not stir.
5. Rearrange coals, using 10 briquettes under the oven and 22 on the lid. Bake for about 25-35 minutes until the corn bread becomes golden-brown.
6. Sprinkle cheese on top of corn bread and replace lid, baking for a couple of extra minutes to let the cheese melt before serving.
This recipe needs parent supervision. You may need more time for the cornbread to cook. We think that there should have been ½ the BBQ sauce, ½ the onions, and 1/2the honey, because it was too sweet, but that was just our opinion. This is a practical recipe because it is easy and it gives you time to do other things. It is pretty nutritious and healthy.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Main Dish