Chocolate Beet Cake
Why I Love This Recipe
When thinking about vegetables in season, we started to talk about beets because magic scissors brought the letter B. Gus helped talk the other Rainbows into trying Beets in a cake. They all seemed to love it! The beets give the cake a nice moist texture.
The original recipe called for coconut to be spread on the bottom of the pan before the batter is put in. This would make a delicious addition to the cake.
Ingredients You'll Need
2/3 cups coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup honey
1 1/4 cup beets, about 3, grated
3 eggs, whisked
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1. Warm oil in a pan on low. Add syrup and chocolate. Stir until melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add beets and stir. Add eggs slowly and mix well.
3. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir into beet mixture.
4. Pour into a greased cake tin or bundt pan.
5. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.