"Choucroute is a French-style dish that is sure to fill anyone's stomach up. It's hardy meats and vinegar-y Sauerkraut bring a contrasting flavor profile to your pallet."Serves 6 Servings, 4 oz sauerkraut, 1/2 sausage, and 4 oz of pork | Prep Time 15 - 25 minuets | Cook Time 45 - 60 minuets
Why I Love This Recipe
Choucroute is a old-fashioned French style dinner that presents a vinegary and meaty flavor. It's contrasting textures and flavors give a great presentation to any dinner.
Ingredients You'll Need
120 g Bacon, medium dice
180 g Onions, medium dice
22.5 g Garlic, chopped fine
120 g Granny Smith Apples, medium dice
.7 kg Sauerkraut
60 mL Dry White Wine
60 mL White Wine Vinegar
240 mL Chicken Stock
3 Juniper Berries
1.5 Bay Leaves
2.5 Caraway Seed
2 lb. Boneless Pork Butt
480 g Smoked pork Loin
.7kg Red Potatoes
6 Links Bratwurst
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1) Render the bacon
2) Sauté the onions, garlic, and apples in the bacon fat without browning
3) Once browned, transfer all parts from the pan into a pressure cooker.
4) Rinse the sauerkraut and squeeze out the liquid. Add the sauerkraut to the pan
5) Stir in the wine, vinegar, stock and sachet
6) Place the pork butt on the sauerkraut. Place on lid and set timer for 30 mins.
7) Add the smoke pork loin and potatoes and cook for an additional 15 minuets. If the sauerkraut is dry, add more stock.
8) Add the bratwurst and set timer for an additional 15 minuets until all meats are tender and the potatoes are done. Remove and discard the sachet and season with salt and pepper.
9) Carve meats into individual portions and serve!
Pairs Well With