Coconut Cream Pie [Vegan]
Why I Love This Recipe
Coconut cream pie is a dairy filled, creamy slice of heaven. Unfortunately, vegans and folks with lactose intolerance can’t enjoy this scrumptious treat when it’s made in the traditional way. Substituting silken tofu and coconut milk for the usual dairy products gives our vegan version the rich and luscious taste you expect from a coconut cream pie. But surprise, this dessert is packed with protein and dietary fiber and all the health benefits coconut has to offer. Most importantly, it’s packed with coconut flavor!
Ingredients You'll Need
6 ounces silken tofu
1/3 cup Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Sugar
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Coco Treasure Organic Coconut Flour
1 ¾ cup light coconut milk
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon coconut extract
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons shredded, sweetened coconut
1. Press tofu through a fine sieve over a bowl. Use a whisk or electric mixer to blend the tofu until it is completely smooth.
2. Whisk organic coconut sugar and organic coconut flour together in a saucepan. Place over medium heat and slowly add the coconut milk. Cook for about 3-5 minutes until thick, stirring constantly.
3. When the mixture thickens, remove from heat. Fold in the tofu and other ingredients except the 2 tablespoons of shredded coconut.
4. Pour mixture into the prepared pie crust and cover. Chill for 4 to 24 hours before serving.
5. Toast the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut. Spread coconut evenly on a cookie sheet and place in a 350-degree oven. Stir every two minutes. Bake until the coconut begins to turn golden brown, approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and place in an airtight container until ready to use.
6. Remove the chilled coconut cream pie from refrigerator and top with the toasted coconut. Serve and enjoy!