Cornbread and Mystery-Leftovers Skillet Pie GF
Why I Love This Recipe
With a very recent dx of Celiac Disease, I'm scrambling to revamp comfort food recipes into gluten-free dinners that both my husband (who does not have Celiacs and doesn't need to eat gluten-free) and I can enjoy without feeling like we're making an uncomfortable and unwelcome lifestyle change.
As an avid baker prior to the diagnosis, I owned a grain mill. Luckily, the manufacturer of the mill promptly answered my email cry: "Help! I want to use my mill to make gluten-free flours, but it's contaminated with wheat!" with some super easy tips for thoroughly cleaning the mill to avoid cross-contamination. This is my first post-Celiac diagnosis baking attempt using the thoroughly cleaned mill.
Ingredients You'll Need
Grain Mill (I use a NutriMill)
1 part whole dried corn kernels, very coarse grind
1 part white popcorn, fine grind
1 part millet, extra fine grind
Ingredients for Corn Bread Layer:
1 c prepared Flour Blend (above)
1/4 c Argo* or Kingsford* cornstarch
1 tsp guar gum or 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp Rumford* baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2.5 tbs sugar or 2 tbs agave syrup
1 egg (beaten)
3 tbs melted butter
3/4 c water
Ingredients for Skillet Layer:
Oil (I use safflower oil)
1/2 to 1 c your leftovers (chili, pot roast, thick stew, mac&cheese, sausage, anything that you made in the crock-pot, etc.)
1/2 to 1 c sweet white corn kernels (I use frozen for convenience)
(above ingredients should fill cast iron skillet to about 1 to 1/2 inch layer)
*brands that I have found with "gluten-free" on label.
Grain mill (I use a Nutrimill)
6 to 8 inch cast iron skillet
Mixing bowl, measuring tools, etc.
Preheat oven to 425
1. Prepare Flour -- grind the three types of corn in a grain mill. Start with the coarse setting and the whole kernels and finish with the millet. Do not blend prior to grinding. The grain mill may not grind grains of diverse sizes properly when combined.
2. Warm Leftovers -- Lightly oil 6 to 8 inch skillet (unless your leftover selection has a large amount of oil already). Pour in a layer of leftovers and top with a layer of sweet white corn kernels as needed to build about a 1 inch layer. Move to stove and re-heat on low-heat while mixing corn bread below.
3. Mix Corn Bread Layer ingredients -- mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
4. Assemble -- Spoon Corn Bread batter over the top of warmed skillet leftovers and smooth.
5. Bake at 425 for approximately 20-25 minutes (test by poking with narrow utensil--if utensil doesn't have clumps of batter when removed, dish is done.)
6. Cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
The Official "Burnt" Movie CookbookBy Burnt Movie Cookbook
7 Recipes51222 Downloads