Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 cup shortening
• 8 to 10 tablespoons ice water
• 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
• 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion
• 1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes (1/2-inch cubes)
• 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled turnips (1/2-inch cubes)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 1/2 cup evaporated milk, optional
• In a large bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
• Preheat oven to 375°. In another large bowl, combine beef, onion, potatoes, turnips, salt and pepper. Divide dough into 4 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 portion into a 9-in. circle. Mound 1-1/2 cups filling on half of circle; dot with 1 tablespoon butter. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal.
• Place on a parchment-lined rimmed 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Repeat with remaining dough, filling and butter. Cut slits in tops of pasties. Bake 30 minutes. If desired, pour milk into slits. Bake until golden brown, 20-30 minutes longer. Serve with ketchup.
• Freeze option: Freeze cooled pasties in a freezer container. To use, reheat pasties on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a preheated 375° oven until heated through.