Crispy Garlic Risotto Cakes
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
14 whole garlic cloves, unpeeled
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 cups water
½ stick (4 tablespoons) butter, divided
¼ cup onions, finely chopped
¼ cup mushrooms, finely chopped
1 cup Arborio rice
½ cup white wine
¼ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
A little flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Put garlic cloves and olive oil in a small baking dish; cover with aluminum foil and toss well to evenly coat cloves. Bake about 25 minutes or until tender (watch closely). Uncover and reduce to 325 degrees and bake until very tender (about 10 minutes). Cool and peel, then puree half of the cloves in a food processor; thinly slice the remaining cloves. Set aside.
3. Bring water to a simmer over medium heat, reduce to low, cover, and keep hot.
4. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms; sauté until tender (about 3 minutes). Add rice and stir until golden (about 3 minutes). Add wine and stir until absorbed (about 2 minutes). Add 1 cup hot water (water should be bubbling gently) and stir until absorbed. Continue adding 1 cup hot water at a time until rice is just tender and mixture is very thick, simmering until liquid is absorbed before each addition and stirring frequently (about 25 minutes). Transfer rice to a large bowl and cool 30 minutes.
5. Add cheese, parsley, garlic puree, and garlic slices to rice; cover and refrigerate until cold (2 to 3 hours).
6. Shape into 6 (3-inch) diameter patties, ¾-inch thick, using about ⅓ cup risotto for each; place on a baking sheet, cover, and refrigerate until next day.
7. Place some flour in a shallow dish; lightly coat each risotto cake.
8. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add 3 cakes and cook until golden brown and heated thoroughly (about 3 minutes per side). Transfer to a plate with paper towels to drain. Repeat with other 3 cakes and 1 tablespoon butter.
9. Transfer to a platter and serve.