Why I Love This Recipe
This is one of my favorite aloo sabji, it is basically made with potatoes in a spicy curd curry. This goes well with chapatis, rotis or rice. It has a tangy taste because of curd and goes very well with all the spices used for making it, it leaves your taste buds tickling. Lets see the detailed recipe for the same. Just a tip before we begin, you have to be careful while mixing curd with curry mix and stir it continuously otherwise the curd can split/curdle.
Ingredients You'll Need
1 tbsp ghee
1 bay leaf/tej patta
½ tsp cumin/jeera
1 inch ginger finely chopped
½ tsp dry fenugreek leaves / kasuri methi
¼ tsp dry mint leaves/ pudina powder (optional goes very well though)
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp garam masala
1 or 1.5 tsp red mirchi powder / Kashmiri powder as this will give curry a hot red color
1 green chilly slit
1 tbsp onion finely chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
1 cup curd/ yogurt (whisked)
1 cup water(add as required)
½ tsp salt (for actually curry) ¼ tsp salt for boiling potatoes
2 large potatoes or 3 medium sized potatoes washed.
1. Cut the potatoes into cubes, about 1 inch in size. You can peel the potato if you want or cut them with skin on. If you are using medium size potato you would get 6-7 cubes.
2. Now in a pot add water and salt and let it boil, once water is boiling , add potato cubes and let it boil till potatoes are cooked about 70-80% . Once they are cooked drain the water and keep them aside.
3. This is an optional step but it would amp up the flavor. You can shallow fry the potatoes in ghee for about a min on high flame so the outer side of potato would be crispy.
4. In a bowl add the curd and whisk it completely so that there are no lumps. Remember your curd should be at room temperature.
5. Once whisked thoroughly add about ½ or ¼ cup of water to it give it a medium consistency. But if your curd is already runny you can skip this step. Add less water if you wish to have a thick gravy.
6. Now let’s add all the spices to curd coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red mirchi powder and garam masala. Mix all these spices into curd and set this mixture aside.
7. Heat up pan add ghee and sauté bay leaf and jeera till they aromatic.
8. Now add onion and sauté till it turns translucent, then add ginger and green chilly and stir it for about a minute.
9. Turn down the flame and add our curd mixture and stir continuously. This is a crucial step if the mixture is not stirred continuously it will curdle. Also remember the flame should be low or you can take the pan off heat until curd mix is stirred thoroughly.
10. Once the mixed let it simmer for 3-4 mins and then add salt as per taste. You can add water to this gravy if you feel its thick.
11. Now add our potatoes to the gravy and cook it for 2-3mins . Also add kasuri methi and pudina powder at this stage.
12. Finally garnish gravy with fresh coriander and enjoy this with rice/chapati.