Dark Chocolate Orange Muffins
Why I Love This Recipe
Muffins filled with dark chocolate and fresh orange juice---I made these for a cancer awareness post.
Ingredients You'll Need
1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest, divided
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3.5-4 oz. premium dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg, room temperature
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.; line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
2. In a small bowl, stir together 1 teaspoon of the orange zest with 1/4 cup of the sugar; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar together. Stir in the chopped chocolate; set aside.
4. Add the buttermilk, the egg and the orange juice to a large, microwave safe measuring cup. Use a fork to blend the mixture. Microwave for about 30 seconds, or just until the mixture is at room temperature; stir in the melted coconut oil, the vanilla, and the remaining orange zest.
5. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir with a rubber spatula until just blended.
6. Spoon the batter into the lined muffin cups. Sprinkle the orange-sugar over the tops of the muffins. Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack.