Doughboy's Basil Chicken Salad
Why I Love This Recipe
This is a home version of a fantastic salad made by a local cafe. It's got bold flavors in a bright citrus dressing that mix amazingly well; not to mention that it's light and extremely good for you.
Ingredients You'll Need
2 tbsp orange juice
• 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
• ¼ cup (packed) fresh basil, shredded
• 1 shallot, finely minced
• 6 tbsp olive oil
• 1 head radicchio, shredded
• 16 oz spinach, washed and shredded
• 1 full chicken breast, roasted (approx. 12 oz) and chopped or shredded into 1” pieces
• 2 oranges, segmented
• 4 oz Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
• ½ cup pecans
• 2 tomatoes, cored, seeded and chopped
• 1 avocado
• Salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, combine orange juice, thyme, 1 tsp shredded basil, shallot, salt and pepper. Drizzle in olive oil, whisking, until emulsified.
2. Add to the bowl remaining basil, radicchio, spinach, chicken pieces, tomato pieces, orange segments, and pecans. Toss to combine thoroughly with citrus dressing.
3. Halve the avocado; remove pit. Remove the avocado flesh from the skin in a solid piece by working a large spoon in between the flesh and skin; squirt a little orange juice over the avocado to prevent browning while working. Once removed, slice each avocado half in two, making four quarters. Thinly slice each quarter into a ‘fan’ shape.
4. Split the salad evenly between four salad bowls. Sprinkle Gorgonzola over each. Garnish the top of each salad with one avocado quarter. Serve.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
Disney's Tinker Bell Secret of the Wings CookbookBy BakeSpace Fairies
6 Recipes489 Downloads